Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Senior Corps Week Celebration

#SeniorCorpsWorks  #IamSeniorCorps

This year, Senior Corps Week was May 18-22.  This is a time to celebrate those who volunteer for the Foster Grandparent Program, RSVP and the Senior Companion Program.  I was excited to have been asked to be a part of the program, sharing my story (and a few songs) to the Foster Grandparent/Senior Companion volunteers from Osceola, Lyon, Dickinson, Sioux, O'Brien, Plymouth, Woodbury and Monona counties in Iowa.


Foster Grandparents are mentors, role models and friends to children with exceptional needs.
Senior Companions provide friendship and assistance to adults who wish to stay independent in their homes, like running errands or providing respite for caregivers.


Let me tell you, this experience was amazing!  I started the day as a guest speaker.  I told the attendees a little about myself, my experiences as Mrs. Iowa International and volunteering.  These folks spend a minimum of 15 hours a week volunteering for their respective programs, so they have their 50 in no time!  In fact, I presented special Presidential awards to those who have volunteered over 4,000 hours!  4,000 hours!  That's phenomenal!


Now, I also sang a few songs for entertainment.  I have to give a shout-out to the table of ladies who were dancing in their chairs and singing along to 'These Boots Are Made for Walkin'--You Rock!  So much fun. :)

The best part of the day, though, was hearing the stories from the volunteers.  I heard about the children they helped, how some of them did not have grandparents of their own.  I heard about how spending time with these adult clients and children were their reason for getting out of bed or off the couch each day.  I heard about the hugs, the laughter and the tears.

And it warmed my heart.  It made me smile.

This is what it's all about.  These folks are the change and the light.  And I was fortunate enough to experience their shine.

Cathy, Angela and Staff--thank you so much for inviting me to be a part of your day.  It was lovely (and the lasagna was good too)!

For more information on these programs, check out:
http://rvrseniorvolunteerprograms.org/site/ (Rock Valley Rotary Club, Iowa)
http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/senior-corps (National)

Senior Corps Pledge
 I will get things done for America – to make our people safer, smarter, and healthier.
 When faced with a pressing challenge, I will bring Americans of all generations together to strengthen our communities.
 When faced with children at risk, I will help them stay in school and on track for a brighter future.
 When faced with older adults in need, I will provide support and compassion so they may age with grace and dignity.
 Working for the greatest good, I will use my lifetime of experiences to improve my country, my community, and myself through service.
 I am a Senior Corps (RSVP, Foster Grandparent, Senior Companion) volunteer, and I will get things done.

 

Be the Change.  Be the Light.  #ServeLoveVolunteer

Cheers!

Jill
Mrs. Iowa International 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment